The forum "Genetic Resources of Russia" in St. Petersburg will gather more than 500 Russian scientists
The first scientific Forum "Genetic Resources of Russia" will be held on June 21-24 under the auspices of the Vavilov Society of Geneticists and Breeders on the basis of the St. Petersburg Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
The initiators and organizers of the Forum are scientific institutions that won the all-Russian call for the development projects for bioresource collections within the framework of the Federal Scientific and Technological Program for Development of Genetics and Genetic Technologies in the Russian Federation that is open until 2030.
Two plenary sessions and 9 specialized conferences of the Forum will be attended by high-ranking specialists in the field of genetics, breeding and biotechnology. This list includes more than 10 academicians and corresponding representatives of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 3 laureates of the Federation President's Prize for young scientists. In total, about 500 people from more than 20 regions of Russia will participate in various meetings of the Forum.
Sergey Kutsev, Director of the Research Centre for Medical Genetics, chief freelance specialist in medical genetics of the Ministry of Healthcare of the Russian Federation, academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences, will deliver a speech on the "Development of approaches to the diagnosis and treatment of orphan diseases using a collection of biological samples of patients with genetic diseases"
In 2021, the Research Centre for Medical Genetics received a grant from the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of Russia for creation of the network center for collective use named "All-Russian Collection of Biological Samples of Hereditary Diseases". The center will combine biological collections of the Research Center for Medical Genetics and the Tomsk National Research Medical Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
- The study of normal and pathological human genomic diversity is a large-scale task. With no doubt, it has great fundamental and applied importance. The solution of this problem will have a decisive influence on the medicine of the future. A personalized, predictive and preventive approach to diagnosis and treatment of hereditary diseases is possible only as a result of the combinational analysis of genomic, transcriptomic, proteomic and phenomic data. In this regard, the creation of a collection of biological samples of patients with hereditary diseases is an extremely important event that will help studying the etiology and pathogenesis of hereditary diseases, developing diagnostic test systems and identifying effective medicines, - Sergey Kutsev said on the eve of the forum.
The opening of the Forum will take place on June 21 at 10.00 Moscow time. Lilia Gumerova and Sergey Kabyshev, Heads of the relevant Committees on Science and Education of the Federation Council of the Russian Federation and the State Duma of the Russian Federation, Representatives of the Ministry of Science and Education of the Russian Federation - Vice-Governor of St. Petersburg Vladimir Knyaginin, and Vice-President of the Russian Academy of Sciences Irina Donnik, will address the participants with welcoming words.
"More than 100 years ago in St. Petersburg, the future Academician Nikolai Vavilov laid the foundations of a scientific approach for working with a collection of cultivated and wild plants," said Igor Tikhonovich, President of the Vavilov Society of Geneticists and Breeders, Academician of the Russian Academy of Sciences. "Moreover, he and his associates began to grow plants through the prism of a new the science of genetics, understanding that each sample, first of all, opens path to genes and genetic diversity.
Researchers actively continue the work of N.I. Vavilov today through developing his scientific school and by establishing new ones. The Forum plans to consider comprehensively the features of modern use, replenishment and sustainability of bioresource collections of microorganisms, plants and animals, as well as work with human genetic databases. The sponsors of the events of the Forum are “Diaem”, “Helikon” and other companies.
- All-Russian Conference “Plant Genetic Resources for Genetic Technologies: To the 100th Anniversary of Pushkin Laboratories of N.I.Vavilov Research Institute of Plant Industry” (organizer — N.I.Vavilov Research Institute of Plant Industry);
- All-Russian school-conference "Preservation and enhancement of the genetic resources of openness" (organizer - All-Russian Research Institute of Agricultural Microbiology, St. Petersburg);
- All-Russian Conference "Collections as the basis for the study of genetic resources of plants and fungi" (organizer - Botanical Institute named after V.L. Komarov of the Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg);
- All-Russian Conference "Collections of human and animal cell cultures: modern challenges and network solutions" (organizer - Institute of Cytology of the Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg);
- All-Russian conference "Zoological collections as a source of natural resources of the world fauna - classical and modern approaches to their collection, storage and presentation" (organizer - Zoological Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg);
- All-Russian school-conference "Cellular and genomic technologies for use in animal agriculture" (organizer - All-Russian Research Institute of Genetics And Breeding of Farm Animals - branch of the Federal State Budgetary Scientific Institution "Federal Research Center for Animal Husbandry named after Academician L.K. Ernst", St. Petersburg);
- All-Russian Conference of Young Scientists "Gene Pool and Human Reproductive Health" (organizer - D.O.Ott Research Institute of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductology)
- All-Russian Conference "Bioresource Collections of Biological Samples of Patients with Genetic Diseases" (organizer – The Research Centre for Medical Genetics).
- All-Russian Scientific Conference "Genetic Resources of Microorganisms as a Basis for Creating Means for Diagnosing and Preventing Animal Diseases, Ensuring Food Safety and Protecting Cultural Heritage Objects" (organizer - All-Russian State Center for Quality and Standardization of Medicines for Animals and Feed).
A round table “Regulatory and legal regulation and standards for working with bioresource collections” was organized within the framework of the Forum.
The working language of the Forum is Russian.
The program can be found on the event website https://brc2022.vogis.org/ in the "Scientific program" section
Admission to the All-Russian Conference "Bioresource Collections of Biological Samples of Patients with Genetic Diseases" is free.