Administration of the FSBI Research Centre for Medical Genetics (RCMG) made a decision to officially register the collection of biomaterial samples as a separate functional structural unit of the Biobank SRC pursuant to Order No. 38-L of 09 January 2017 with a view to ensuring the modern level of scientific research and diagnosis and treatment.
FSBI RCMG is the leading institution in the Russian Federation providing modern methods for the diagnosis, treatment and basic research of human hereditary diseases. Up to 15,000 patients from the Russian Federation and the CIS countries having a preliminary history of various genetic abnormality pass annually through the FSBI RCMG outpatient department for diagnosis and treatment and counseling procedures. About 10,000 patients’ blood samples are collected annually for the laboratory research. In some cases, the other biological material is collected, for example, urine or tissue biopsies to provide complex diagnostics. The material obtained is not only of medical, but also of scientific importance, especially in cases of unique genetic abnormality and rare mutations. Creation of a structured storage of the biomaterial incoming samples provides the modern research base for genetic diseases, as well as introduction and development of the personalized medicine field that is most appropriate for a specific patient therapy. Preservation of the unique genetic material suggests the possibility of continuous complex research, transfer to specialized laboratories, exchange and the possibility of commercial realization (under the existing legislation).
Systematic Storage Units
The creation and development of Biobank SRC structural division based on FSBI RCMG implies two systematic storage and use of samples units:
- Blood Genetic Bank (BGB)
- Genetic Diseases Cell Bank (GDCB)
Whole blood samples deposited in BGB are processed, frozen, and stored with further restoration and testing according to targeted protocols for specific diseases. The modern conditions for whole blood samples storage involve the use of complex automated storage systems (ASS), special software products for systematization, description and accounting of samples.
GDCB development implies deposition, storage and use of live cell cultures obtained from biopsy, autopsy and surgical primary material. The renewable cultures of live cells allow for molecular and genetic, biochemical and pharmacological studies aimed at the diagnosis and treatment of various types of hereditary diseases.
Biobank SRC General Areas of Work
- Obtaining, laboratory examination, processing and systemized description of biomaterial from patients with genetic diseases.
- Deposition, safe storage and distribution of biomaterial in accordance with protocols of samples systemized storage sections (BGB, GDCB).
- Analysis of practical experience and introduction of modern methods for the incoming biomaterial processing.
- Participation together with Biobank SRC users in any joint scientific and medical studies.
- "External" work (publications, contacts with relevant institutions and organizations, educational and counseling work, exchange/sale/purchase of biomaterial).