Graduated from the Medical and Biological Faculty of Pirogov Russian National Medical University in 1997 majored in biochemistry. He defended his thesis “The study of structural and functional disorders of the X-chromosome, leading to various forms of X-linked mental retardation” in 2000 supervised by Prof. Zaletaev D.V.; and in 2012, he defended his doctoral thesis “A comprehensive study of malignant neoplasms methyl types: fundamental and applied aspects”; Strelnikov V.V. is the author of more than 80 scientific papers, one patent, five new medical DNA technologies, eight chapters in textbooks for medical students, and he supervised 4 candidates of science.
For his achievements in the field of science and health Strelnikov V.V. won the following Prizes and Awards:
- “Human Genome” Award of the National Scientific and Technical Policy, the interdisciplinary program “Life Sciences and Biotechnology”, 1999;
- Prize of the Foundation for the Promotion of National Medicine in the "Medical and Biological Sciences” nomination, 2004, 2008;
- Award of the International Academic Publishing Company "Science /Interperiodica" for the best cycle of publications in the Molecular Biology journal, 2005;
- Prize of the American Association of Oncologists for the study of breast cancer epigenetics, 2006;
- The Human Genetics European Society Prize for the outstanding research of the team of young scientists “Study of methylation and abnormalities of genes expression associated with breast cancer”, 2006;
- Diploma "For fruitful work on medical science and health care development " of the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, 2009;
- Award of the "In Vita Veritas" Russian Society of Oncologists in "The best research project" nomination, 2013;
- Diploma of Rospatent in "100 best inventions of Russia for 2013" nomination, 2014.
Research areas: epigenomics of malignant neoplasm cells and the development of new high-tech approaches to epigenomic research, genomics of congenital human diseases.